Tuesday 10 December 2013

Breastfeeding Meme

How do you pass the time when your little one is feeding?

I always have my phone with me (except if DB has pinched it from me, which can happen!). It's a fantastic asset for a breastfeeding mum :) I go on Facebook, read and write emails, write a blog post, read a book on the Kindle app, browse on Etsy or eBay, go on Pinterest or Twitter. I can say that smart phones have radically changed my breastfeeding experience since I had DD1 almost 11 years ago (yikes!!).


Cover up or bare it all?

I don't cover up but try not to flash everyone around either! More than once it happened that people didn't realise I was breastfeeding until someone talked to me and suddenly realised. But it also happened, with a particular mock wrap top, that I saw with a shock, after DB had come off and I had pulled my top down, that my boob was popping out in between the layers!!!


Choosing breastfeeding : Sense or Sensibility?

Definitely sensibility first. Although I appreciate all the health benefits, especially when I have been nursing a poorly child, it's for the closeness that I wanted to breastfeed. The love rush. The growing infant curling up in your arms like a newborn, all warm and safe and content.


If your breastfeeding experience was a film, what genre would it be?

A love story or maybe one of these Coming of Age films. It's not quite an experience that turns you into a different person but certainly in a person with different views.


What are the down sides?

Blocked ducts can set me off in quite a bad mood for a couple of days. Especially with older children who seem to choose that time to bump into me or give me a hug a bit roughly (any sort of hug is generally nice but not with tender boobs!).
Little fingers that pinch soft skin between the nails... Ouch!
Biting is not nice either, although one time it was my own fault. I had given a cracker to DB and let her come on the boob while eating. She got a bit confused!!
Little feet that go in my plate when I'm breastfeeding while having my meal, or that knock my phone off my hand!


Nose-to-nipple or laid-back?

With DB I definitely found that laid-back breastfeeding helped her to latch on, otherwise I had all the head shaking and pushing away from me which can be so frustrating. As soon as she was on my chest, on her tummy, she used her reflexes (rooting and crawling) to good results! After she'd latched on I would often go into a cross between cradle hold and laid-back breastfeeding.
With DD1 I tried once feeding on all four as I had read it helped with blocked ducts... Not convinced! Since then I've discovered hot compresses and to align baby's chin with the blockage and it works better for me. At least it's more dignified!


What would you like to say to new mums about breastfeeding?

When it comes to breastfeeding what counts is the relationship between you and your baby, it is UNIQUE to the two of you. There are no absolute set rules, whatever works for you is what is right, whether it's exclusive breastfeeding, mixed feeding, expressing, feeding only from one boob! The aim is to make it work FOR YOU, in the way it's right for you :)

Anne x



It wouldn't really be a Meme without inviting other bloggers to write similar posts. So I'm going to invite Becky at ThisIsMe
paa.la
Rachel at Beautiful.Enduring.Delight
Tessa at The Pumping Mama
and Kylie at Not Even a Bag of Sugar
To continue this breastfeeding Meme, guys, include the pic below, write a post answering the questions (if you want to) and invite 5 more bloggers to do the Meme!  



http://andoverbfmums.blogspot.co.uk/




No comments:

Post a Comment